Originally a castle from the Vitkovicz family from the mid-13th century, it was later rebuilt in the style of a Renaissance chateau. At the beginning of the 14th century the small castle with a rotund tower and a palace became the main seat of Petr from Rozmberk, who enlarged the castle. He founded the Upper Castle with two prismatic towers, a palace with a chapel of St. George in a steep bedrock above the Lower Castle. The following generations of the Rozmberk family built a vast group of structures onto this base. The last Rozmberk Petr Vok sold the chateau to Emperor Rudolf II in 1602. Other owners were the Eggenbergs, from 1719, then the Schwarzenbergs, who stopped using the chateau as a residential seat in the second half of the 18th century. Their building ventures created todayís appearance of the chateau. In Cesky Krumlov, which is the second largest chateau after Prague Castle, there are three hundred rooms next to the Baroque theater, furnished with original paintings, tapestries, and valuable furniture.
Getting there - public transport
Many buses and trains from either Florenc or Hlavni Nadrazi.
|Type of landmark:||