J. Mocker and J. Schmoranze performed the Romantic neo-Gothic reconstructions of the chateau between 1889 and 1894 for the successor to the Austro-Hungarian throne, Ferdinand díEste, who was the owner from 1887. The predecessor of the chateau was a castle from the turn of the 13th century. Later it was renovated in Renaissance style and in the middle of the 18th century, it was redone by the Lords of Vrbna, with the participation of architect F. M. Kanka, sculptors L. Widmann and M. B. Braun and other artists in Baroque style. Both the near Rose Garden and wider bailey of the chateau were grandly rennovated. With its wide range of rich art collection, Konopiste belongs to one of the most interesting chateaux of Central Europe.