Even though the original royal castle from the second half of the 13th century was already rebuilt at the end of the 16th century by the Lords of Hradec, it did not receive its Romantic medieval appearance until it was under Count Jan Adam of Schwartzenberg. According to the English Windsor example, F. Beer and F. Deworetzky built a Romantic Neo-Gothic chateau, surrounded by a large English park (190 hectares) here in the years 1841 to 1871. The richly decorated and furnished interiors offer exceptionally valuable art collections to the public. There is a winter garden and riding-hall where the Southern Bohemian gallery exhibitions have been housed since 1956. Many famous Czech fairytales were shot here.
It is 75 miles south of Prague and is a national monument. It is called ìThe Pearl of Europeî because it has been kept in perfect repair for centuries. It has been the seat of royal families and is one of the best preserved examples of medieval architecture