The Gothic castle, founded in the 13th century by one of the foremost ancestors of the Lords of Sternberks was owned by the Sternberks almost without a break until 1946 and was most recently again returned to them. The vehement castle was repaired and rebuilt at the end of the 15th and the beginning of the 17th century. In the second half of the 17th century, the Baroque reconstruction united the various structures into one connected building structure. In the mid-18th century a Baroque Lower castle was built in front of the castle grounds and the interiors were redecorated at the same time. The stone bridge across the castle moat wasnít created until 1829. An exhibition of period interiors with furnishings of a large artistic and historical value is accessible to the public.